How do you deal with your moody students at school? Tell us your tricks.

Teacher charged with assaulting fourth-grader in D.C. elementary school

A fourth-grade teacher at a District elementary school in Shaw was arrested Friday and charged with slapping a young student in the back of the head and pulling her hair, according to D.C. police.
The incident occurred about 10:50 a.m. on Tuesday at Cleveland Elementary School in the 1800 block of 8th Street NW.
Dustin Sternbeck, the chief D.C. police spokesman, identified the teacher as Lacey Thornton, 32, of Capitol Heights, Md. He said she was charged with simple assault. It was not immediately clear if she would make an initial appearance in D.C. Superior Court on Friday. Thornton was in custody Friday and there was no answer at her house.
According to a police report, the young student complained to the school principal who notified authorities. The school system issued a brief statement: “The safety and security of our students is our number one priority, and in this case, school administrators acted swiftly to follow protocols.”
D.C. police reviewed surveillance video that showed the 4th grade girl being pushed out of her third-floor classroom with the door shutting behind her. The girl then kicked the door, which reopened.
Police said in the report the teacher is seen on the video exiting the classroom and striking the child on the back of her head with an open hand. The report then says the teacher is seen grabbing the girl by the back of her neck and pushing her down a hallway.


  1. What is your opinion about this case?
  2. Why do you think this happened?
  3. How do you usually react or do when some schools situations manage to change your mood?


Comments

  1. 1. I am very aware of this case since it happened in my school. This case is under investigation and because of that I believe I should not express my opinion about this particular situation.

    2. The same as above.

    3. I bring all my years of experience dealing with stressful situations at that moment. I try to breathe, relax, and I use my brain, not my heart. I’ve found that even in the midst of a challenging situation, reminding myself of my goals helps me take a step back and stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that students want to play a game in which they put your limits to test. In the case of this teacher, it seems to be she lost the game by losing control. However, it is not clear to me the reason why she acted like she did. It is not correct to respond to a situation aggresively but it would be great to reflect upon the support that teachers receive from schools when they are the "victims". In my case, the best way to teach is through your own actions: I keep calm, positive, and totally respectful. Sometimes students appear to be surprised as it is something they did noy expect to find in their "who has the power" game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment